March 18, 2010

Blogger’s Quest(ionnaire): A Piece of Monologue’s Rhys Tranter


A Piece of Monologue is an independent site by Rhys Tranter, a postgraduate student living in Penarth, Wales. What started as personal journal about literature and philosophy in 2007 has embraced art, photography, theatre and film. In fact, it covers such topics as Modernism, Contemporary Theatre, Literary Journalism and more in a tall index. Rhys covers a lot of cultural terrain. As one repeat-visitor put it, “A Piece of Monologue is a piece of monument.” Rhys’ concise thoughts about web-based publishing may help your entrance into the blogosphere or further inform your current work in it:

Why did you create a Website of regular entries?
It’s a wonderful way to express your interests while pretending to be productive.

What Web-based solution did you select and why?
I use Blogger. It’s practical and robust, but there’s room to play around with the design and make something that feels right.

What is your definition of a good blog and what are
three good blogs that you frequently visit?

I think a good blog presents content in a clear, engaging and approachable way. For those with an interest in literature and philosophy: ReadySteadyBook, 3:AM Magazine and This Space are all highly recommended.

How do you create content for your blog?
I use my blog as a kind of scrapbook of ideas. If I come across something interesting, I make a note and up it goes. It’s like a private notebook that, for some reason, I’ve chosen to share with the world.

How do you stay organized and motivated
to contribute to your blog?

I enjoy sharing news and ideas with readers who have similar passions. The blog also provides a nice distraction from the daily humdrum of work and routine. If I don’t have anything to write, I don’t worry about it. It’s just for fun. And by keeping that in mind, content and motivation generally takes care of itself.

For those aspiring to make a Website composed of
regular thoughts and
/or images, what is your advice?
No advice, really. Speaking from experience, I would say that it’s easy to get started and a lot of fun. Just give it a go and see what you think!

What is your quest in blogging?
I just like keeping track of my interests, and enjoy discussing them with enthusiastic people.

• • •

Photograph courtesy of Rhys Tranter.

• • •

Read more of the Design Feast series Blogger’s Quest(ionnaire).


Please consider supporting Design Feast
If you liked this lovingly-made interview, show your appreciation by helping to support my labor of love—Design Feast, which proudly includes this blog. Learn more.