November 8, 2011

Blogger’s Quest(ionnaire): Stephen M. Hackett of 512 Pixels


Based in his beloved city of Memphis, Tennessee, Stephen M. Hackett runs 512 Pixels, a weblog about technology, journalism and design. From Hackett, “The original Macintosh’s screen was 512 pixels across, helping set the standard screen resolution of 72 DPI. The Mac’s GUI paved the way for computers and design as we know them today. Nothing has been untouched since 1984. I want to pay homage to that with my work.” His thoughts about web-based publishing may help your entrance into the blogosphere or further inform your current work in it:

Why did you create a Website of regular entries?
At first, I just wanted to rant about my time working at an Apple Retail store as the Lead Mac Genius. Quickly, I discovered that wasn’t a sustainable (or healthy) way to go, so now I just want to share things that are interesting to me.

What Web-based solution did you select and why?
I’m running a self-hosted (well, Media-Temple hosted) WordPress install. I like how flexible the platform is, and since just about *everyone* uses it, there's always someone out there who has solved just about any problem you could encounter.

What is your definition of a good blog and 
what are three good blogs that you frequently visit?
A blog should have a voice, and original content. Linked items are fine (I post a ton of them), but the writer’s voice is what makes a site memorable.

How do you create content for your blog?
I read a lot of websites. Too many. I also spend a lot of time reading books about nerdy things like Apple, NASA and more.

How do you stay organized and motivated 
to contribute to your blog?
I keep a running OmniFocus project full of article ideas. I use Instapaper to capture links I want to post to. Knowing that I have thousands of people who seem to like what I do is great motivation to not suck. I don’t want to waste my readers’ time.

For those aspiring to make a Website composed 
of regular thoughts and/or images, what is your advice?
If you’re not interested in a subject, it will come through in your writing. Write about what makes you tick.

What is your quest in blogging?
I’d love to write full-time in the future, but for now, I want to continue to see 512 Pixels grow in size and in reputation. My awesome readers have everything to do that, so I want to keep them happy. However, ultimately, I want to keep learning about what I love—technology, and how it changes us.

• • •

512 Pixels’ logo and portrait courtesy of Stephen M. Hackett.

• • •

Read more of the Design Feast series Blogger’s Quest(ionnaire).