June 30, 2016

Pride, Work, and Necessity of Side Projects: Veronica Wong’s Cake Toppers



What are you working on—on the side?

I run a business called Honey & Crisp where I turn my hand-lettered designs into wedding cake toppers. In addition to creating pre-designed toppers, I offer many customizable options (for example the couple’s first names). I’m also one of the members of a local organization in Toronto called Ligatures. We run workshops, meet-ups and events to bring together people who love all things to do with type.


Mr & Mr Cake Topper

How do you manage to work on your side project(s)?

I find time when I can and prioritize based on urgency. Using Trello, I have a checklist of things that I need to get done, and when I have a moment of spare time, I’ll look at my list and see which items I could check off with the extra time I have. For more urgent items, I'll schedule specific blocks of time to get it done. Nothing’s off-limits when it comes to side projects: before/after work, during lunch time, weekends, etc.

Why have a side project?

I’ve always enjoyed being busy. Having side projects helps me continue to grow my craft and keeps my mind alert. My side projects open me up to opportunities and challenges that my day job might not. I’m a digital designer by day, so being able to work on more tactile projects outside of work helps me be more well-rounded.

My business is also a way for me to be even better at my day job. Owning and running a business has given me so much insight to how I can better communicate with the people that use Shopify every day. It allows me, as a UX Designer at Shopify, to do my job better and contribute to creating a better product for them to run their businesses.

• • •

Diptych courtesy of Veronica Wong.

• • •

Read more about the joy of side projects.


Please consider supporting Design Feast
If you liked this lovingly-made interview, show your appreciation by helping to support my labor of love—Design Feast, which proudly includes this blog. Learn more.