April 23, 2010

Blogger’s Quest(ionnaire): SaneMoms.com’s Bethany Rule Vedder, To Motherhood and Beyond!


Not only does Bethany Rule Vedder run her design studio Thin Line Design, she also runs SaneMoms.com. I knew her as a designer first and was impressed to discover later that she also became a life and parenting coach, then the force of an “online community to facilitate the discussion about what momhood does to womanhood.” SaneMoms.com “shares stories to read, tools for survival and help for the hard changes when women become moms.” Being a mother of two sons, SaneMoms.com is Bethany’s “third child.” Her concise thoughts about web-based publishing may help your entrance into the blogosphere or further inform your current work in it:

Why did you create a Website of regular entries?
I wanted to start talking to other moms about the issues I had after the birth of my first child. I felt like my identity was hijacked, and thought it worthy of discussion.

What Web-based solution did you select and why?

Squarespace.com for it’s comprehensiveness, widget-based templating, and ease of use for client updates. I prefer not to host or update a site once it’s finished, I train my clients to do the majority of their own changes and updates.

What is your definition of a good blog and what are
three good blogs that you frequently visit?

A good blog has regular original content that’s presented in an engaging way, both visually and verbally. I regularly visit DaMomma, Secret Agent Josephine and The Women’s Colony.

How do you create content for your blog?
I pull most of my content directly from my own life, with about 30% being reactions to things I’ve read or heard in both real life and the blogosphere.

How do you stay organized and motivated
to contribute to your blog?

I publicly commit to daily posting, and occasionally join NaBloPoMo to find my groove when it’s flagging.

For those aspiring to make a Website composed of
regular thoughts and
/or images, what is your advice?
You must be passionate about something before you start, or it will be terribly hard to keep going. Also, be comfortable with your voice. Lastly, know your goal before you start.

What is your quest in blogging?
To find fellowship in what I do and how I approach life. To help other moms admit they’re not the only ones questioning and groaning and having issues on a regular basis. To make a corner of the web that reflects me perfectly.

• • •

Photograph courtesy of Bethany Rule Vedder.

• • •

Read more of the Design Feast series Blogger’s Quest(ionnaire).


Please consider supporting Design Feast
If you liked this lovingly-made interview, show your appreciation by helping to support my labor of love—Design Feast, which proudly includes this blog. Learn more.