November 29, 2009

Blogger’s Quest(ionnaire): Designer and Illustrator Valerie Jar of Fancy Frills


The Blogger’s Quest(ionnaire) is a Design Feast Initiative. In contrast to the Designer’s Quest(ionnaire), the focus here is on those engaged in the blog medium—why they do it and what tools they use. This seventh installment features designer and illustrator Valerie Jar who runs Fancy Frills, a blog that catalogs “semi-daily doses of inspiration, including things related to design, photography, products, fashion, and more.” Her sustained web-based publishing experience may help your entrance into the blogosphere or further inform your current work in it:

Why did you create a Website of regular entries?
It sort of just happened suddenly. I wasn’t planning on it at all. Being in the design industry, I research for projects and come across so many cool things online, that I wanted a place to keep track of it all. And I figured that if I like these things, maybe someone else would as well.

What Web-based solution did you select and why?
I use Blogger. It’s easy to use and free.

What is your definition of a good blog and what are three good blogs that you frequently visit?
I like blogs that keep me coming back. I have a selection of blogs that I go to frequently that are full of visual, creative things that influence me. Right now I am liking Mint, Design Work Life, and Beast Pieces.

How do you create content for your blog?
Everything featured on my blog are things I come across randomly on the internet, in real life, or that other readers have submitted to me. It’s basically full of eye candy. I’m kind of picky about what I post though. If it’s something I find neat or inspiring, I will post it. If not, I won’t.

How do you stay organized and motivated
to contribute to your blog?

I have a list of potential subjects to post about and it’s growing every day. I place these potential topics under sub-categories like paper, design/illustration, products, fashion... and then just pick and choose something under a subcategory that I haven’t blogged about for a while. I get motivated to post because it seems like almost every day I come across something I love and want to share.

For those aspiring to make a Website composed 
of regular thoughts and/or images, what is your advice?
Be passionate about what you do. If you love what you’re writing about, it makes updating it so much easier and even fun. You’ll look forward to posting more often.

What is your quest in blogging?
I want readers to visit and go away feeling inspired. I love learning about other artists in the field and finding new products or local shops/businesses, and then letting my readers in on it. Right now, my blog isn’t all that popular, but even knowing that I have some regular readers is one of the nicest things. Even if no one visited, I’d still keep my blog just to catalog all of the wonderful things I have stumbled upon.

• • •

Photograph courtesy of Valerie Jar.

• • •

Read more of the Design Feast series Blogger’s Quest(ionnaire).


Please consider supporting Design Feast
If you liked this lovingly-made interview, show your appreciation by helping to support my labor of love—Design Feast, which proudly includes this blog. Learn more.